Obong Victor Attah @ 82: 35 facts about Obong Attah
1. Architect Obong Victor Bassey Udo Attah was the former two term Governor of Akwa Ibom State in Nigeria’s fourth republic
2. Obong Attah was born on November 20, 1938
3. He was elected Chairman of the Forum of the 36 Governors of Nigeria
4. Obong Attah is the Architect of Uyo Master Plan and was former National President of the revered Nigeria Institute of Architect
5. Obong Attah is known to Nigerians as the “the Apostle and Advocate of Resource Control”.
6. He is the father of Modern Akwa Ibom and the crowned political leader of the Ibibio nation
7. He holds the title of ” Eduek Ekpe” of Asutan Ekpe in Ibesikpo Asutan LGA of Akwa Ibom State
8. His father was the second Nigerian to earn a University degree in Agriculture and the first to earn a masters in the same discipline.
9. His mother was a teacher and socio political activist
10. Obong Attah attended Primary School at Native Authority School, Calabar and high school at Hope Wadel Training Institute.
11. Obong Attah is a registered Professional by the Architect Registration Council of Nigeria, ARCON.
12. Obong Attah is a fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Architect
13. He is also an Alumnus of Kennedy Graduate school of governance at Harvard University
14. He is the master planner of: University of Calabar, University of Port Harcourt emergency campus design, Head office building of NDIC in Abuja, Nigerians Defense Academy – Kaduna, Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Akwa Ibom State University Master plan, amongst others.
15. He has served as the President of Nigeria Institute of Architects, vice president of ARCON and a consultant to the British overseas Development agency.
16. He was a member of G-34 group that troubled the military government of Gen Sani Abacha and Gen Abdusalami Abubakar to quicken the handover of power to civilians
17. Attah initiated the Ibom international Airport with a hanger and maintenance facility.
18. He initiated the Ibom Science park project and the sum of N5.3billion , 90 percent of the total sm, was paid upfront to SB Julles of South Africa to commit his successor to the project.
19. Obong Attah initiated Ibom power plant project even before River and Lagos States government contemplated and copied.
20. Obong Attah laid the foundation of Akwa Ibom State University
21. Obong Attah inspired the birth of Ibom Ship building yard, and the world class five Star Le Meridien Hotel and golf resort , the best in Nigeria (With 18 holes golf Course and 9 holes practice pitch)
22. The recreation Centre , Ibom plaza was also his brain child
23. Obong Attah upgraded Uyo from a mere State Capital to a city with Excellent dualized Roads and modern facilities
24. Obong Attah reactivated Champion Breweries
25. Obong Attah completed Idongesit Nkanga Secretariat, which is adjudged the best in Nigeria
26. Some of the roads dualized by Obong Attah include Olusegun Obasanjo Way (Abak Road), Atiku Abubakar way, General Edet Akpan Avenue, Nsikak Eduok, Udo Udoma Avenue, initiated the dualisan of Airport road (Oron Road) amongst other single lane roads
27. Obong Attah built the Shelter Afrique Housing Estate and 1,550 modern houses across the 31 LGA
28. The industrial park, Itam international market and Ibom Modern motor parks were from the stable of Obong Attah’s administration.
29. Obong Attah initiated the design for a deep-sea port at Ibaka.
30. Obong Attah won the 13% derivation, during battle of the onshore/offshore oil dichotomy, which brought about improved inflow of funds to the state.
31. Obong Attah represented Akwa Ibom State at the 2014 National Conference put together by former President Good luck Jonathan.
32. Obong Attah’s laudable achievements informed the grand reception organised by the Akwa Ibom People in September 2014, where he was proclaimed the political leader at the Asan Ibibio.
33. Obong Attah holds the title of “Mkpisong Ibibio” a title conferred on him by the traditional Institute in 21 of the 31 LGAs of the State.
34. Obong Victor Attah retired from Partisan Politics in October 2015
35. Obong Attah is a one time Aspirant for the President of the Federal republic of Nigeria.
A recap of what he said about his presidential ambition in 2015:
I felt I had the ability and the vision to do that to all of Nigeria. And I tried in 2007. If Obasanjo had allowed the contest to go without interference, I stood a very good chance. But when that was scuttled, that was the end of it”.